My kids and I had so much fun building the Exploding Popsicle stick chain (cobra chain). It was so pretty cool! We bought three packs of the craft sticks from Walmart. Each pack has seventy-five sticks. So our chain was made with about two-hundred and twenty-five sticks.
We found that it works best with the larger craft sticks compared to the actual Popsicle sticks that we tried with first. They have a little more bend in them.
Getting the chain started is the
most difficult part. So I will try to be as detailed as possible. Once the
chain is started it gets a lot easier so don't be discouraged if it takes a few
tries to get it started. It did for us.
1. First take two of the sticks and make a slightly off set x with them.
2. Next add another stick under the bottom stick and over top of the top stick.
3. Then weave a fourth stick between the x and beside the stick you just added. Then you begin your chain by weaving a stick beside your original x.
4. Next add a stick to the opposite side.
5. Continue adding sticks alternating on each side.